Friday, February 24, 2017
Too much of one characteristic
Hello, 😇
TGIF!
It's the weekend and I'm going to spend it rewarding myself. Introspectively, I need change. More than 2 cents.
I need the type of inner transition that catalyzes a lifetime of positive habits. But also, I need for that change to be gradual.
A few days ago, I announced that my first recipe will be tomato sauce from a French cookbook, written by an American woman.
I could've chosen any recipe to be the first.
But I don't have the technical skill set that is necessary to make those recipes. At least not yet.
And while I could try, it would be an injustice to the quality and integrity of the food, if I attempted the recipes without knowing exactly what to do.
In this way, learning to cook is teaching me patience. And it has revealed something about me: I am, by nature, somewhat of a stoic.
Its hard for me to express pain or discomfort during hardship.
I sometimes envy people who seem to "get things off their chest". But for me, that's a difficult feat. Music and poetry have been my outlets for that.
How did tomato sauce reveal my inner stoicism?
Well: I thought that tomato sauce, for a first recipe, would be great.
I celebrated what turns out to just be my lack of technical skill, or so I thought.
Tomato sauce is the base. Without it, there's no spaghetti dinner.
I have many forms of this French 'tomato sauce' in my life. Things that have taken me a while to truly appreciate.
But with gratitude comes more gifts, and one of those gifts is appreciation.
I love that nothing is set in stone, but that there is a such thing as a constant. Even an expectation.
Tomato sauce, stoicism, gratitude.
Cooking is rather relaxing.
At any rate, making dinner comforts me. I'm glad to do it.
Tomatoes and cilantro,
-Gertie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment